Administration ~ Home

 

Archive

2017

2016

 

WACTON VILLAGE HALL TRUSTEES
MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 15th October 2018

Present:- Chairman Calvin Goreham, Treasurer Pat Reynolds, Secretary Caroline Squires.
Booking clerk Christine Goreham, Peter Jacques and Ian Logan.

1. Apologies – Apologies had been received from Rev Heather Wilcox.

2. Minutes – The Minutes of the meetings held on 17th September 2018, which had been circulated, were agreed and signed.

3. Matters Arising ( not covered on the agenda) – Christine confirmed that she had now received the paperwork for the use of the Hall as a Polling station next May.

4. Matters for consideration :-
a. The installation of the Solar Panels: – It was confirmed that the panels had been installed as planned, it now only remains to complete the form for the payment of the levy.

b. Website:- The pages are now all ready to pass to Peter so that the site can be amended.
A copy was circulated for trustees to see.

c. First Aid Kit :- The secretary had looked up the requirements for a first aid kit and eye
wash is not essential and will therefore not be replaced. The other contents will be
checked.

d. Control of heating for the winter months:- Defibrillator Training:- Christine had
contacted Sharon Thompson from Thetford, who would be prepared to carry out training
on a voluntary basis.
The Trustees will donate the use of the Hall and pay expenses. It was agreed that the
most suitable time for this to take place would be in March 2019. The event, which
would be for over 16's, will need to be well advertised. Christine will liaise with Sharon
to arrange a suitable date.

e. Draft questionnaire about siting of picnic bench:- The wording of the draft
questionnaire was unanimously approved. It was agreed that forms could be returned to
Peter, Christine and Caroline to make it easy for people living in all parts of the village.

f. Review of Insurance Policy:- Christine had requested this in view of the recent
water leak outside the Hall, so that Trustees can be sure what is covered by the policy
and suggest any amendments they think may be necessary.
Calvin will make the policy available before the next meeting so that this can be
discussed.

5. Correspondence:– None.


6. Treasurer's Report : – The treasurer reported that the amount in the deposit accounts is
now £23,118.92. The current account stands at £2750.66 as £7670.00 has now been paid
out for the solar panels. Calvin has been paid £603.79 to cover the cost of the cooker and
the new larder cupboard in the kitchen which he had personally paid for.
The 17/18 accounts are still with Pippa who is working on small details but overall has
found no significant problems.
7. Maintenance Report:- Richard Moss has very kindly pruned the cherry tree at the
front of the Hall to clear the electricity cables.

Jobs still to be done include fitting the plinth under the cooker, re-fixing one plank on the
cladding and re-fixing the downpipe by the main entrance.

Security was again discussed and the possible need for fencing to the rear of the building.
Ian suggested that there should be a notice saying that no cash or equipment is left in the
Hall overnight and this was agreed.

8. A.O.B. Christine reported that legislation is being trialled in Jersey to enable cars to be
towed away if they park without permission. Hopefully a note on the windscreen will
continue to work.
Christine also suggested that the Parish Office was long overdue for a thorough clean -
arrangements will be made to do this and also to re-organise the filing cabinet.

9. Items for the next agenda – None.


Date of next meeting :- 12th November 2018.

*****************************************

WACTON VILLAGE HALL TRUSTEES
MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 17h SEPTEMBER 2018

Present:- Chairman Calvin Goreham, Treasurer Pat Reynolds, Secretary Caroline Squires,
Booking clerk Christine Goreham, Rev Heather Wilcox and Bob Tingley

1. Apologies – Apologies had been received from Ian Logan.

2. Minutes – The Minutes of the meetings held on 16th July 2018 and 10th September, which had been circulated, were agreed and signed.

3. Matters Arising ( not covered on the agenda) – The Chairman reported that a new 900mm
electric cooker has been purchased following the failure of the installation of the gas cooker to comply with latest regulations.

4. Matters for consideration :- a. To discuss a report on the progress of the Solar Panel project: – After some delay, due to technical considerations, the news was received late this afternoon that the installation had been approved. The panels will be fitted on Tuesday or Thursday next week.

b. To discuss the amendment of the website:- Documents showing the planned
changes to the website had been circulated and agreed. If possible, Minutes will be
available for a three year period, the oldest being removed when the next one is added.

c. First Aid Kit :- Christine reported that the sterilised water for eye treatment is now out
of date. The secretary will check if this should be part of the kit before the item is
replaced.

d. Control of heating for the winter months:- There were some problems with
interference with the heating timer control last year. Hirers should only control the
temperature required by using the thermostats situated in the lobby and the main hall.
Radiator controls should not be tampered with and should be set at 4. Members of the
Social Club present offered to keep at check on this.

e. Request from the Social Club to site a picnic bench in front of the Village Hall:-
A petition had been presented showing support for this proposal from members of the
public who had attended a recent event. It was proposed that before any decision was
made all villagers should be given the opportunity to give their views by means of a
questionnaire. It was agreed that the pros and cons of the proposal should be made clear.
As one of the possible problems would be litter, members of the Social Club offered to be
responsible for keeping the area clean. A draft questionnaire will be drawn up for
approval.

5. Correspondence:– A request for the use of the Hall as a Polling Station on 2nd May has
been received. It was agreed that the cost should remain the same.

6. Treasurer's Report : – The accounts for 2017/18 are now with the auditor.
Payment of £123.00 for the tall larder unit in the kitchen has been made and £75.00 has
been received from the Social Club for the gas cylinders – a receipt for this needs to be
raised. The payment of £479.99 for the cooker has not yet been made.
There is a total of £8,814.37 in the current accounts.
The deposit account stands at £3056.45 and the reserve account at £20,000, as agreed at the
last meeting.

7. Maintenance Report:- The microwave door has been repaired.

Bob will make arrangements with the electrician to fit the new cooker which is arriving
tomorrow. The electrician will also be asked to fit the new hand dryers and check the
cooker hood.

It was agreed that the gas cooker should be sold – possibly on E-Bay. The gas regulator will
be sold 'as seen' to the Social Club.

The tap in the disabled toilet needs to be taken apart and fixed.

8. A.O.B. Christine supplied a list of hirings due to take place while she is away in
October so that the necessary work can be carried out by others.

Christine reminded everyone of the churchyard annual clearance due to take place on 13th
October as the Trustees usually assist with this event.

9. Items for the next agenda – None.

Date of next meeting :- 15th October 2018.

*****************************************

WACTON VILLAGE HALL TRUSTEES
MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 16th July 2018

Present:- Chairman Calvin Goreham, Treasurer Pat Reynolds, Secretary Caroline Squires,
Booking clerk Christine Goreham and Bob Tingley

1. Apologies – Apologies had been received from Ian Logan.

2. Minutes – The Minutes of the meeting held on 25th June 2018, which had been circulated, were agreed and signed.

3. Matters Arising – The cleaning of the Hall on 14th July was carried out by 5 Trustees who put in a total of more than 17 hours . Unfortunately this was insufficient to thoroughly clean the entire premises.

4. Matters for consideration -
a. Solar Panels – It was reported that the surveyor had now inspected the premises and
found no problems. Accordingly the required deposit of £1,917 has been paid. £7,000
has been transferred from the deposit account to cover the entire costs of this project.
The positioning of the inverter was discussed – Pat will supply measurements so that
a decision can be made.

b. Proposal for Social Club Hire on special occasions:- The secretary put forward a
suggestion that ' The Social Club would arrange hire of the Hall in the normal way,
paying in advance. However, following receipt of the Social Club's accounts for the
specific event the Club would, at the Trustees' discretion, be refunded up to the full
value of the hire should the profits made on the whole event be insufficient to cover
this. This would mean that the Social Club would be covered for all or part of the
cost of of hiring the Hall if the event was not well supported.'

The proposal was discussed and agreed unanimously. The secretary will write to the
Chairman of the Social Club to advise him of this decision.

c. The revised terms of hire had been circulated before the meeting and after a few
minor amendments they were agreed. The secretary will speak to the licensing
department at SNDC to check the licensing position for hirer's wishing to sell alcohol.

d. The amendment of the website will be discussed at the next meeting.

5. Correspondence – None.

6. Treasurer's Report – Following the transfer of funds from the deposit account and the
payment of £506.96 to cover the purchase of 2 new hand driers and a filing cabinet the
situation is as follows:-
Reserve deposit account £15,055.60
Deposit account £ 8,055.77
Total £23,111.37

Current account (1) £ 3,773.38
Current account (2) £ 6,152.50
Total £9,925.88

The chairman asked trustees to review the amount currently held in the reserve account
as required by the Charity Commissioners. It was agreed that this amount should be
increased to £20,000 and the treasurer was asked to transfer the funds.

7. Building work report -
The stop has been fitted on the kitchen door and hand dryers are ready to be installed.
Following the clean up in the kitchen, it was agreed that a larder cupboard be
purchased so that the boxes of glasses can be put away. Kicking boards will put at the
base of this and two other cupboards. The cooker hood will be checked, as it is not
working. Other maintenance jobs to be done include the filling of various cracks and
re-instatement of the retaining wire behind the cooker.

8. A.O.B. :- In light of the new N.H.S. contract it was proposed that a cleaning
company be used as the pressure on Christine to do all the necessary cleaning is now
too much. Quotations had been obtained and the following was agreed:-
Windows outside to be cleaned once every 3 months @ £15.00
Windows inside to be cleaned once every 3 months @ £15.00
Two hours cleaning fortnightly @ £30.00.

The secretary will contact the company to arrange and also draw up a cleaning
schedule.

9. Items for the next agenda -

a. Amendment of the website


N.B. There will be no meeting in August unless it becomes necessary.

The next meeting will be on 17th September.

The date of the November meeting will be Monday 12th November.

The meeting closed at 8.44pm.

***********************************************************


WACTON VILLAGE HALL TRUSTEES MINUTES OF MEETING HELD ON 25th JUNE 2018
Before the start of the meeting all those trustees present signed the Declaration of Members.
1. Apologies – Apologies had been received from Rev. Heather Wilcox & Ian Logan.
2. Minutes – The Minutes of the meeting held on 21st May 2018, which had been circulated, were agreed and signed.
3. Matters Arising – There was a discussion about the proposal to install solar panels on the Hall roof, based on the investigations carried out by Peter Reason and circulated to all trustees. Concern was expressed about permanently tying up a large sum of money, but others felt that the predicted returns over a number of years would justify the expenditure. The Chairman cautioned that the more expensive option would use up too much of the reserves and this was agreed.
The motion to proceed was carried after a vote was taken with 3 in favour, 2 against and 1 abstention. Further discussion took place about which supplier to use and it was unanimously decided to go ahead with Norfolk Solar as they had been much more helpful and efficient up to this point. The £7,670 option for 6kw panels was agreed. Peter will arrange the next stage, which is the survey.
4. Matters for consideration a. It was agreed that the Village Hall clean up should take place on 14th July from 9.30am
b. Window keys – After a discussion it was agreed that a window key would be put in the key safe with the door key for use of regular hirers. The W.I. have a window key held by their secretary. The windows would be opened for other hirers as necessary by those unlocking the Hall for them.
c. Check List for Hirers on leaving the Hall. After some amendments the list was agreed. This will be laminated and put on the window by the exit.
5. Correspondence – None.
6. Treasurer's Report – There is a total of £6884.42 in the current accounts. The deposit accounts remain the same at £15,054.90 each. The payment of the £1,650 for the replacement of the oil tank was agreed. The chairman proposed that £7,000 should be transferred into the current account to pay for the solar panels. The chairman asked for another signatory to the bank account to replace Peter Reason. Peter Jacques volunteered and arrangements will be put in hand. Pat Reynolds would like to implement some new systems and Calvin will have access to the account to enable him to check for electronic payments from hirers.
7. Building work report -
New rails have been put up in the storage room for the use of the Physiotherapy Department who are about to become regular hirers.
Calvin proposed the purchase of two new hand dryers for the toilets at £137 each, this was agreed. Bob will ask Simon about installation.
Bob expressed his concerns about the internal fire-door into the kitchen and it was agreed that an automatic floor stop should be installed. The cost will be approx.£130.

8. Items for the next agenda -
a. Review of the Hiring Regulations. b. Review of the amount held in the reserve account. c. Solar panel installation – progress.

*****************************************************


Wacton Village Hall Trustees
Minutes of Meeting on 16th April 2018

Present: Calvin Goreham (Chair), Peter Jacques [PJ], Peter J. Reason [PJR] (Secretary),
Pat Reynolds [PR] (Treasurer), Bob Tingley.

1. Apologies: None. Absent: Rev. Heather Wilcox

2. Minutes of the meeting 19th March were agreed and signed.

3. Matters Arising:
(i) Following on from the previous meeting’s discussion on fencing, it is apparent that the 7 metres required can be sourced for considerably less than feared.
(ii) An acceptable estimate had been obtained by PJR for replacement of the oil tank with a bunded model, and he was requested to instruct the contractor to proceed.
(iii) CG had obtained the uprated padlocks and the 6 lever lock for the parish office.
(iv) the estimates for the 4kW and 10.2kW solar arrays were discussed and it was decided that figures for 6kW and 8kW should be obtained before a final decision. PJR to action.

4. Matters for Consideration.
None

5. Correspondence:
CG reported that the estate of Arthur Nightingale had endowed the Village Hall with a further £290.45 some 16 years after the original gift.

6. Treasurer's Report:
The financial position was as follows;
the two deposit accounts each contain a total £15053.14; there is £3269.88 in the current account and £2885.90 in the BACS payments account.

7. Building Progress:
The ground support for the handrail uprights have been secured.

8. A.O.B.
CG has obtained a 10ft x 6ft screen that could be used in the main hall, as well as an additional metal cupboard for the corridor to accommodate the cleaning materials presently stored in the kitchen.
PR reported that Pippa Agent will be the VH’s auditor for 2017/18.

9. Date of next meeting – AGM on 21st May at 19.30pm.

Meeting concluded at 20.15

 

**********************************************************

Wacton Village Hall Trustees
Minutes of Meeting on 19th March 2018

Present: Calvin Goreham (Chair), Peter Jacques [PJ], Peter J. Reason [PJR] (Secretary),
Pat Reynolds [PR] (Treasurer), Bob Tingley.

1. Apologies: Rev. Heather Wilcox

2. Minutes of the meeting 21st February were agreed and signed.

3. Matters Arising:
The Police security recommendations were discussed. The easy bits have already been actioned – removal of window keys, blinds left open overnight, and replacement locks acquired. Of the substantive recommendations:
(a) security fencing – CG had an estimate of between £3-4K for 7 metres. This was a concern and PR would contact the report author for specific guidance.
(b) Key Safes – the consensus was that the kitchen safe should remain. There was no position out of sight and fencing should reduce the risk. The door keysafe would be upgraded.
(c) Oil Tank – a replacement bunded tank would cost a little over £1K. PJR to contact a local resident known to have had similar work completed recently.

4. Matters for Consideration.
Solar Panels. PR had circulated an estimate of the installation cost of a 4kW array and the possible income. The award of and Energy Proficiency Certificate to the hall would significantly boost the Export Tariff. An EPC survey would cost in the region of £100 and PJR was asked to put it in hand. Should the building fail, the project would go no further.

5. Correspondence: None

6. Treasurer's Report:
The financial position was as follows;
the two deposit accounts each contain a total £15051.26; there is £3420.88 in the current account and £2629.06 in the BACS payments account.

7. Building Progress:
The adverse weather had precluded any work on the handrail. The hot water heater in the kitchen was deemed too old to warrant replacement of the leaking tap so would be permanently removed.

8. A.O.B. None


9. Date of next meeting – 16th April at 19.30pm.

Meeting concluded at 20.30

Appendix A
Solar Panels

At the March meeting it was agreed that we should go ahead with a survey to establish the Energy Proficiency Rating of the hall before considering further the proposal to install solar panels. The guideline survey price was £100. After an online search the cheapest price from an accredited surveyor was £200. With the approval of the Chairman, John Hipperson was retained and the survey undertaken on 4th April. The hall was estimated to emit 59 kg/m2 of CO2 per year which is well within the ‘C’ rating (51-75) on a scale of ‘A’ (best) to ‘G’ (worst). A minimum of grade of ‘D’ is required to receive the higher rate of Export Tariff, which the hall easily achieves. This rating is now lodged on the national database at www.ndepcregister.com

Should the Trustees decide to investigate further, it should be noted that a 4kW installation is the standard domestic size. The hall could accommodate a commercial array of up to 10.2kW, the maximum that can be sustained with a single-phase electricity supply. The expenditures and income would approximately increase in step with the increase in output with three exceptions. In favour of larger scale, the Export tariff would increase by 0.25p/kWh (3.8p cf. 4.05p), while scaffolding costs would be unaffected. The rate of substitution is unaffected by scale. Overall the result is a slightly higher return on capital for the larger array.

Trustees will be aware that our present 4 year Fixed electricity supply contract with SSE (23/02/18) was brokered through Utility Aid. They would undertake the administration of tariff payment.

The full financial breakdown is shown on the attached copy of a spreadsheet, Appendix B.

Should the Trustees be minded to proceed there are a number of further steps and clarifications required:

* competitive pricing – the figures quoted are from a single supplier
* the claims made for different brands of panel. Prices vary widely, as does performance and longevity
* level of expected maintenance and cost thereof
* quality of guarantees and follow-on guarantees in case of future company failure
* position on tariffs after expiry of 20 years

Trustees may have additional points requiring clarification.

************************************************************

Wacton Village Hall Trustees
Minutes of Meeting on 21st February 2018

Present: Calvin Goreham (Chair), Peter J. Reason [PJR] (Secretary), Rev. Heather Wilcox,
Bob Tingley

1. Apologies: Peter Jacques; Absent: Pat Reynolds [PR] (Treasurer).

2. Minutes of the meeting 15th January were agreed and signed.

3. Matters Arising:
Following the burglary between 16th and 18th November, the Crime Prevention Officer was invited to inspect the hall. This he did on 18th January which formed the basis for his report and recommendations submitted on 30th January. The full report is attached as Appendix A to these minutes. PJR presented a summary of the major points, attached as Appendix B.
The committee decided to adopt the majority of the recommendation, the exception being planting below windows, installing CCTV and alarming the oil tank. The comments made in the report about the tank caused concern and will be the subject of further consideration.

Still on the subject of the break-in, PJR reported that Martindales had attended site and fitted the replacement Parish Office door. CG observed that there was difficulty in locking/unlocking. PJR to call Martindales back. CG reported that the insurance claim had been settled in the sum of £1550. A replacement filing cabinet would be the first purchase.

4. Matters for Consideration. None

5. Correspondence: None

6. Treasurer's Report:
In the absence of the Treasurer there was no report.

7. Building Progress:
Additional feet for the handrail have been acquired and erection of the handrail will now proceed.
The hot water boiler in the kitchen is leaking and a repair or replacement tap is required before further use

8. A.O.B.
The Social Club requested a pedal bin for kitchen and a supply of black sacks. This was agreed.
PJR reported that the website manager had asked how many years the archive of village hall minutes should be displayed on the website. 3 years was thought sufficient as, long as there was a full hard copy record held on file. PJR confirmed that such a record is on file and all minutes since 2007 were also saved in Word format.

9. Date of next meeting – 19th March at 19.30pm.

Meeting concluded at 20.30


Appendix A

Crime Prevention Survey report - Wacton Village Hall - 18/01/18
Wolsey, Richard <wolseyr2@norfolk.pnn.police.uk>
Tue 30/01, 14:12
Dear Peter
Apologies for the slight delay, which have been due to urgent operational demands. Thank you for allowing me the time to meet with you on Thursday 18th January to assess existing security measures at Wacton Village Hall as a result of recent criminality. What must be considered is the difference between security during closed hours and those vulnerabilities that come into play once the village hall is unlocked and visitor access is mostly unrestricted. Please find below my assessment and I have put my comment/recommendations in bold text:
External perimeter/lighting/fencing/oil tank/windows/doors/keys
      Wacton village hall is a large wooden structure (stud work inner walls) with bookable public community facilities including hall/kitchen/toilets/meeting room and private store rooms and Parish Clerk’s Office. Within the hall is also a locked/alarmed Licensed facility for intoxicants belonging to the Wacton Social Club (I would encourage the contents of this report is shared with their committee). The building is slightly elevated and set back off the main village roadway and to the side of the building is a hard standing car park.
         There are no street lights to provide beneficial borrowed lighting cover yet there are dwellings opposite the roadway which do provide natural surveillance cover to the front of the building. The car park is covered with security lighting from the gable end of the building but there is no other security lighting to cover the three other elevations. I recommend the fitting of security lighting, to be low energy vandal resistant ‘dusk to dawn’ sensored security lights as they provide improved light protection during the hours of darkness rather than on-off PIR devices. This approach seeks to remove dark voids and introduces a layer/barrier of low level light into and across which the criminals won’t wish to work for fear of being seen/heard. When considering security lighting, due regard should be given to preventing a nuisance to residents and minimising light pollution. I would recommend a security light features in the front porch to help identify persons wishing to hide within it.
         There are no physical restrictions to prevent access to the rear of the building and criminal or anti-social behaviour can take place easily out of sight from passers-by. I recommend the fitting of n/less 2m lockable gated welded mesh security fencing between the hall and rear walling at the western end of the building to permit authorised access to the rear and storage. At the eastern end I also recommend the fitting of similar welded mesh security fencing between the hall and metal storage shed and again between the storage shed and rea brick wall. In this way open permeability has been drastically reduced with restricted gated access and protection to the rear windows has been provided. This will help keep the criminal out in public view and deter them if there is an improved chance of being caught.
·         The external oil tank is positioned in view of passers-by and that is good for natural surveillance to take place upon it and the contents. Whilst the appearance of the tank itself might appear unsightly, do not enclose it with fencing as this will only serve to provide a hiding place for the criminal to use.  I would encourage you to consider fitting a specific oil tank alarm device to help protect against loss.  Consider the fitting of Police approved alarms by checking Secured by Design member companies for such devices.
         The double glazed uPVC windows and entrance doors are without attack resistant laminate panels and are vulnerable to attack and thereby potential access. Additionally, the keys for window locks are being habitually left in the locks, leaving the windows vulnerable to internal tampering and without laminate glazing protection, windows are vulnerable to attack from outside. I wholly recommend that no window keys are left in locks once the use of the building ceases and are kept safe away from the windows. Equally, the daily procedure for closing and locking windows, entrance doors and Fire doors should be conducted robustly.
   I recommend the fitting of internal security window film to provide extra glazing protection and potentially mirrored film to prevent visual intrusion into the building from the rear. I would encourage you to make contact with SSAF window film specialists to discuss such protection.
   The defensive under planting of windows with thorny shrubs can be an effective deterrent for those wishing to force their way in through such openings.
   Internal window blinds are very good to keep out visual intrusion and to protect modesty/privacy of activity inside.
        


Excepting internal storage rooms, Parish Clerks Office and Wacton Social Club store, all inner doors are unlocked. Consideration should be given for the provision of door locks on all rooms to help prevent casual unauthorised intrusion during communal activities/events and when the building is closed and locked for business. Where the facility is fitted with a security alarm system, the locked closure of internal doors puts additional barriers in the way of the criminal and thereby helps remove available time they have to get to their intended target (See alarms below).
   I would recommend the hall store room door is fitted with a 5 lever mortice lock to BS 3621 standard and a further x2 security bolts are fitted top and bottom to help strengthen the door. I would propose the Social Club door reflects no less than this approach to protect its assets.
   I would also recommend the Parish Clerks Office door is similarly fitted with a 5 lever mortice lock to BS 3621 standard and a further x2 security bolts fitted to strengthen the door. Window lock keys to be removed. Please ensure that all internal and external door locks and window locks are checked for proper closure/locking prior to finally leaving for the day, to protect against internal tampering.
         I am uncertain as to the security strength of the externally fitted key safe by the front entrance. It is known that the Master key safe model can be opened without force so I would encourage a rethink of what you keep inside it or where you keep the key safe for access. Police approved, attack resistant key safe models are available if you check Secured by Design member companies for such a device.
   The key safe fixed to the rear of the kitchen door provides a safe place in which to place keys and is accessible. However, it is not of a high security standard. I would encourage you to consider what is left inside this safe and the effect the loss of the contents would be if the safe was forced open and contents removed. Please consider fixing it where it is out of sight and out of the criminals mind as it can be readily seen through the kitchen windows from outside.  
 
Internal/furniture and valuables   
All equipment/furniture and personal belonging are of value for the village hall and users alike and any criminal losses should be reported to the Police. Circumstances of loss should be reviewed by the committee in order that lessons can be learned. The provision of lockable personal lockers might be useful to consider to keep users/visitor belongings safe whilst involved in activities. (See property marking below)
 
Alarms/ CCTV/property marking
          In light of the building being entered outside opening hours and forced access gained to the Parish Clerk’s Office/contents, I would recommend the fitting of a security alarm system (covering both door and window). The provision of an internal security alarm system will significantly reduce criminal time inside during closed periods and I would recommend the fitting of an internal security alarm system that will protect the external doors, vulnerable internal doors e.g. service cupboard & Parish Clerk’s Office and vulnerable windows (particularly the rear). I can only direct you to consider companies who are approved by National Security Inspectorate (NSI) or to provide such security alarm protection.
Security Systems & Alarms Inspection Board (SSAIB)         CCTV has its place but it’s generally used as an electronic witness to record activity and nothing else. Unless actively monitored, such a basic system is limited and you would need to decide what exactly you want it to protect? This is called an ‘Operational Requirement’ and would form the basis of what your CCTV needs are?
   I am happy to return to discuss this item further but consider (list not exhaustive):
§  The cameras should be fixed to evidentially capture torso features straight on with sufficient lighting to fall over the facial features (so that wherever possible offenders can be readily identified or recognised)
§  The cameras must be able to capture high quality imagery in daylight/darkness
§  Recording in the public domain and the placing of overt, public facing signage is a legal requirement and is also vital to reinforce the message that you have protective security measures in place and that those who need to see the warning signs inside and out can do so
§  All footage from your CCTV system can be classed as evidential and users of the system must be proficient in their use including the speedy retrieval of footage as evidence
§  The recording device must be secured away from unauthorised access to prevent evidential loss
§  Please link into the Information Commissioners Office in order to understand your liabilities and guidance when using CCTV
        


I would encourage you to consider physical security upgrades before investing in CCTV.
         We discussed the rudiments of property marking including both overt (e.g. Post coding& property name) and a more covert ‘forensic’ type applications e.g. (Smartwater or SelectaDNA). Security marking and associated overt warning signage can be very effective in deterring criminality and covert forensic marking kits can mark smaller items of value including electronic devices and more overt marking can protect larger items such power tools-maintenance equipment-furniture etc
Essential however, is the use of fresh, well placed and meaningful warning signs that indicate to the public/criminal that security measures have been taken and it’s not worth their while to steal. We want the criminal to see these warning signs and the best place is along the public facing perimeters e.g. roadway
For valuable items I recommend that there is a full inventory with good photo images and full descriptions, in case of theft
 
Other/lone working-suspicious behaviour/vigilance
          Where yourself and other village hall members work within the hall (or potentially respond to security alarm activations), I would encourage that they are provided with a cost effective personal attack alarm. In such scenarios the device can help distract an assailant as well as attract attention for help. Challenging suspicious behaviour is a feature of protection for the hall but do not put yourselves at risk of attack. In the event of emergency (e.g. crime in progress) tel 999 and any suspicious activity or behaviour tel 101.
         Your best form of protection will be to maximise the benefit from the recommendations above but also include the active surveillance benefits from vigilance by the committee, users of the facility, local residents, visitors, local interest groups (e.g. schools) and passers-by. In this way suspicious behaviour/activity can be challenged and/or quickly reported to the police.
         I left you with a few leaflets covering aspects of crime prevention covered during my visit and are reflected in this report.
 
The measures I’ve commented upon above will collectively reduce criminal opportunity and time they might have inside your village hall to steal during opening hours or after opening hours having forced their way in. Crucially, these are layers of protection which will be enhanced where an appropriate security alarm system is fitted. I hope the above gives you the chance to consider security measures more fully. Remember the total elimination of crime cannot be guaranteed but these few recommendations, if implemented, should reduce the opportunity for crime to be committed. As such they also need to be considered alongside any Fire Prevention advice, Fire Safety Certificate conditions, Health and Safety Regulations and Safe Working Practices as they will take precedence over Crime Prevention advice.


Appendix B

Village Hall Security

Richard Wolsey, the Architectural Liaison Office with Norfolk Police inspected the Village Hall at our request on 18th January. I forwarded his report to Trustees and I have summarised his report for ease of discussion

His general impression was that the hall was merely a wooden 'shed' with standard glazing which could be breached by any intruder with sufficient intent whatever defences were put in place. The aim should be to provide as little incentive and as many obstacles to entry as possible, thereby altering the risk/gain equation in our favour.

Summary of Recommendations

On-Site Valuables – reduce to an absolute minimum

Fencing – the rear of the building cannot be observed and would afford intruders complete privacy. Erect 2m weldmesh at both ends at rear of building with lockable gate for access.

Planting – prickly shrubs below all windows.

Lights – in the absence of street lighting security lights installed to front and west gable.

Locks - 5 lever standard with additional bolts top and bottom to all rooms/cupboards in which anything of value is routinely stored and all padlocks to be close shackle type.

Windows – remove keys and use mirror film, particularly in kitchen.

Key Safes – upgrade porch and kitchen safes. Reposition kitchen safe away from easy view.

Security Alarms – priority Parish Office door and window. Then Service Cupboard and rear windows.

Security Markings – all valuables with 'DNA' type markers.

Visibility – make all security upgrades public through clear, accessible signage.

Oil Tank – should be modern bunded design with alarm. (He noted that fuel theft is often effected breach of the tank wall with fuel removal by bucket resulting in significant waste. In our case pollution of the ditch was a risk as was the intervention of the Environment Agency.)

Alarms – to external doors plus Parish Office, Social Club and Service Cupboards.

CCTV – only consider when physical upgrades complete.


Not mentioned in report was the observation made during inspection that leaving a light on in the hall when not in use, coupled with open blinds would be a deterrent. To quote, 'when did you see a supermarket closed and unlit?'


*********************************************************************

Wacton Village Hall Trustees
Minutes of Meeting on 15th January 2018

Present: Calvin Goreham (Chair), Peter J. Reason [PJR] (Secretary) and Peter Jacques

1. Apologies: Bob Tingley; Absent: Rev. Heather Wilcox and Pat Reynolds [PR] (Treasurer).

2. Minutes of the meeting 11th December were agreed and signed.

3. Matters Arising:
(a) An inventory of losses from the burglary has been sent to the Loss Adjusters by CG. It was decided to replace the filing cabinet and accept any reasonable financial settlement for the PA system. Martindales have inspected the damaged door and have received the excess of £100 to proceed with the work. Attendance at the hall by the Crime Prevention Officer has been scheduled for the 18th January. PJR to meet him on site.

(b) After criticisms of the state of the kitchen made by members of the social club at the previous meeting, CG had produced a short notice emphasising the main points for hirers to note when cleaning up at the end of a function. This will be circulated to Trustees for comment/amendment/expansion before display.

4. Matters for Consideration: None

5. Correspondence: None

6. Treasurer's Report:
In the absence of the Treasurer there was no report.

7. Building Progress:
The components for the hand rail are in store. It is apparent that the car park needs
re-marking. This is a job for the warmer weather.

8. A.O.B. None

9. Date of next meeting – 19th February at 19.30pm.

Meeting concluded at 20.30